The kindness of the Seattle people, so far, any way, has simply amazed me. And I'm talking about total strangers. For example, yesterday, I had to take a bus to Tacoma to finally be reunited with my car, Hitch. I had mapped out the location of the desired bus stop, which was a 30 minute walk (i wanted the exercise in the sun - yes a SUNNY day) from my apartment, and when i got there, it became apparent that there was not going to be any buses stopping there because well, the street (the actual asphalt) just didn't exist any more at that exact spot.
Well this sucks. I was on a very severe time crunch due to the fact that the terminal where my car was, closed promptly at 5 and it was now 3. Tacoma, in traffic, could take 90 mins and i was instructed not to get there any later than 4:30. And now i'm trying to find a bus for which i do not know the route. Fabulous. I don't even know the area, or the timetable for that matter. So is a blonde to do?
She walks up (no, sprints, is more like it) to a city bus idling a couple streets over, empty, and begs help from the driver, explaining her situation. What does the driver do? he says, "hop in, i'll take you too the stop you need, Miss." Whoo.
And then when he saw the bus I needed behind him, he purposely "blocked" that bus so that he had to stay behind him until the appropriate stop so i could definitely get on. Double Whoo.
And when I got to Tacoma, with minutes to spare, I call the terminal to tell them that i'm there and to please not close... i'm on my way... please o please wait for me. "Oh, you are at the park and ride? we'll send one of our drivers to pick you up." SWEEEeet.
That was the first time i've ever been HAPPY riding in a tow truck. Usually when you are the passenger in one of those, it means your car is on the way to the emergency room.
1 comment:
That is amazing. I am not sure that New Yorkers or Jerseyan would go that far out of their way. Maybe you should keep a record of these acts of kindness as well as the sunny/rainy days.
MOM
Post a Comment