Random observations on Cambodia:
- Truly the hottest and most humid place I have ever been to. I swear, I spent the entire time I was not in my air conditioned (thank God) hotel room in a constant state of sweat. And I'm not talking about being just damp.... I mean DRENCHED and DRIPPING. I was mopping my face, neck and arms with whatever was handy - my shirt, pant leg, skirt, whatever. It was pretty ridiculous. I have no idea how people live there.
- The Cambodian economy is run completely on dollars. I'm not kidding. Everything, from taxis, menus, museum entrance fees, are quoted in dollars. You hardly ever see their local currency anywhere. It is really astounding. Here is a picture of a chalkboard menu... read it very carefully. It will entertain you.

- Cambodian beer is yummy. Now, you have to keep in mind that I don't drink beer, so take this with a grain of salt, but I was quite excited to finally find a beer I could actually drink completely. Whoo.
- Cambodians are very enterprising people. They realize that they've got real money making opportunities with the tourists. And I'm not just talking about the people who are trying to sell you cheap souvenirs. Of course there are plenty of those... I'm talking about the clever ideas - like the guy who offers sunrise visitors to Ankor Wat tea and coffee - at the exact spot they've chosen to watch the sun come up. And the women who paddle their boats up to tourists on Tonle Sap Lake offering them everything from noodles to beer. Talk about taking advantage of a captive audience.

- The infrastructure of Cambodia is more or less non-existent. Almost all their roads require women to wear a sports bra.
No comments:
Post a Comment