Thursday, November 06, 2008

While walking the streets of Hoi An at 6:30am, on a Sunday, (the only time to see this charming town without tourist running through it) I suddenly heard the distinct chimes of an ice cream truck. Admittedly odd for so early in the day, but this part of the world, up until this point of my trip had proven to do a lot of things differently. It was continuous and alluring... I mean, what American can resist Mr. Softee? My ears immediately perked up as I tried to figure out where it was or what direction it was going. As the song got louder, my salivation and anticipation increased dramatically until I realized that the ice cream music was coming from a garbage truck. Definitely NOT the same thing as an ice cream truck.

Apparently, garbage trucks play this music to remind locals to bring out their trash. Since trash is collected everyday, the decision was made to play this happy music because it would be more pleasing to the tourists than a loud clanging alarm bell. Good call... but what, please tell, does the ice cream truck play?

No comments: