Friday, November 21, 2008

Ok, this *is* a post about a reason why I love Seattle. As a resident of this metropolis, you get a lot of free things. And free, as I like to say, is good. What exactly have I gotten that is free, I hear you ask? Food, mostly. And it almost always comes in the mail.

Well not the food itself, but the coupon for the free food. I like to call it "equal opportunity food stamps." Seattle has its version of "Kings" supermarket -uber overpriced, but always has the coolest stuff ever. Every week, they send out a coupon for something that you can get, totally free. No purchase of any kind necessary. You literally walk in, pick up your free thing, wave the coupon at the cashier, and walk out. It could be a carton of soup, pint of gourmet ice cream.. a dozen roses. I don't even have to pay taxes on it. I even make them validate my parking when I go in to the store just to pick up my free weekly item. It is just awesome. Another example.. when a new restuarant or bar opens up, they almost always send out an advertisement in the mail to this effect. Often, these come with a gift certificate of some kind. And for a decent amount, like $20. If you manage to stock pile these, you can have a pretty cheap evening... for example:

A while back I got a certificate for a free cocktail at a very very swanky place (even by NYC standards). When I got a $20 certificate to a restaurant in close proximity to this bar, I decided to cash in. Here's the break down:

First stop: Fancy Schmancy Bar with cocktail voucher
Very posh and strong bourbon cocktail laced with maple syrup foam: free
Caprese salad (had to get it because I realized I didn't have any cash for a tip): $7
Total, with tip and taxes: $10

Second stop: Upscale Italian restaurant with $20 voucher
Lobster/scallop ravioli, 2, both almost the size of a laptop: $23
Total, with tip and taxes: $10

Now, if I had actually had cash on me, the whole evening would have run me a total of $10. I didn't even have to pay for parking.

I love this city.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I don't get any of those coupons. How do I signup? :)