I didn't realize that the world's largest fresh water fish resource is in Cambodia. It is a remarkable place and is a major reason why so many of Cambodia's neighbors have tried to take the country over:

Cambodians (and Vietnamese, as it turned out) ride motorcycles, rather than cars generally. They are cheaper and more maneuverable than cars on the horrible roads previously mentioned. The issue is, how exactly do you transport stuff - lots of stuff, if you only have a motorbike...like chickens.. or limes...


I have a picture of a live cow strapped to the back of a motorbike as well, but that might be seriously upsetting to some of you who read this blog, so I won't post that, but I figure just mentioning it will give you the visual.
Lotus flowers are everywhere - literally anywhere there is standing water that is not a rice field. Lots of the architecture is modeled after the bud. Here is what it looks like when it has bloomed:

Phenom Penh is the capital of Cambodia. There is a lot of horrible history here that I learned about and have no desire to share with you. I will admit this much though - I had no idea how awful things were for this country during my life time. It was a real shock to the system. Having said that, there is a beautiful royal palace in the city itself which somehow managed to stay in good shape:



No comments:
Post a Comment