Monday, November 10, 2008

My highlight in Vietnam, by far, was Halong Bay. It is very difficult to describe what this place looks like- you just have to review the pictures - but suffice it to say that it is just gorgeous, magical and romantic. The only way to see it is by boat. We stayed on a junk overnight - and the minute you get on the boat and get a sense for what you are about to experience, you realize that one night is not even close to being enough. If I ever go back to Vietnam, I'd stay on a junk for at least two nights and three full days.





One of the most fun things to do in Halong Bay is to swim in it. Right off the boat. You just jump in and climb out using a really old metal ladder. The most entertaining part of this activity though is, the floating vendors. See, in order to swim, the boat has to stop obviously. Well, the second you are anchored, you are a sitting duck. Almost immediately, women in rowboats swarm the junk trying to sell you everything from Pringles to vodka. Have you ever bargain shopped in the water? How about haggling while treading water? No? Well these women know how to corner you - once they realize you are interested in their goods, they'll use their boat and oars to block off the ladder out of the water - your only method of escape.




There was also the option of going kayaking at sunset. True to form, I opted out of this activity to take pictures of the sunset from a dry, safe, place. In the end, it was worth it not only from a photo stand point, but because I was able to help guide the kayakers back to our junk using my camera flash.



Sunrise was pretty spectacular as well. I haven't woken up many mornings on a boat, let alone in such a gorgeous place, but I would imagine that this is pretty much as good as it gets:



1 comment:

Jim Sabo said...

Finally, you post some bikini shots to this blog. Bout damn time.