Thursday, November 13, 2008

I know that everyone, including myself, is totally "electioned out," but I really feel like I need to share the story of my first time voting in Washington, because, well... I found it funny. So this post isn't really about the election, but rather about Larissa voting.

A lot of people I know mailed in their ballots. Personally, I find that very unsatisfying. I have very fond memories as a child being brought into the voting booth with my mother and getting to pull the big lever after she was done. I just loved the sound that made. I honestly couldn't wait to see how the polls operated in Washington.

I don't remember getting a "voter's guide" in NJ, but we get one here. It was easily half an inch thick. I thought for sure it was that thick because half of it was in Spanish, but no. I was going to be asked to vote on so many things and people that it took half an inch's worth of (recycled) paper to explain it to me. Good thing they allow you to bring that into the polls with you.

I also brought a friend with me who lives in the same polling area, expecting massive wait times. I was shocked to find that there was practically no wait at all, which was particularly surprising considering this polling station was used by 8 precincts. Each precinct had its own "checker inner." My precinct was 1711, my friend's was 1714. I immediately got confused and had my first voting blond moment. I walked up to the woman who was checking in 1711 and asked her where 1714 was. I got back to the very small group of people waiting their turn, took another look at my registration cared and realized my blond moment. So I nonchalantly walked back to the checkin for 1711 and understandably, the woman looked confused. I tried to cover up my mistake by saying that two seconds earlier I had been inquiring for a friend.

I'm pretty sure she didn't buy it because as we sat down to start the checking in process, she started talking to me veeeeerrrry slooooowly.

ME: This is my first time voting in Washington, I'm very excited.

Checker: Well, we have two ways of voting, you can fill in ballots by hand or, if it is easier for you, you can use the machine.

I looked over at the machine and there is a blind man standing there. Marginally insulted that blondness maybe considered enough of a handicap that I'd be eligible to use the machine, I opted for the manual method. The checker pulled out a very long paper and handed it to me.

Checker: Have you ever taken a standardized test?

ME: (trying to be funny) Yes, but I never did very well on them.

Checker: (clearly missing my humor and probably still wondering about my intelligence level) Well, you fill out your answers here the same way, by filling in the bubbles, but the difference is in this case, only YOU can decide if you have the right answer.

Deep... really deep.

2 comments:

Lida said...

Love it, love it.
Blond or not, still very funny.

Jim Sabo said...

So did you pass?