Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Last week, I went to Les Schwab to get a tire patched. While doing so, I saw a poster advertising something that had my fledgling inner redneck giddy with anticipation. The Demming Logging Show. A LOGGING show...essentially, Lumberjack Olympics. AWESOME. I knew what I was doing on Sunday. Whoo.





I really had no idea what to expect except for lots of sawing and chopping... and it definitely didn't disappoint. In addition to the "logger arena" where all the contests took place, there were venders and logger related exhibits. I really can't think of a better place to bring boys (of any age) to. Even if they got bored of what was happening in the arena (not likely), they can wander around the grounds looking at every truck imaginable. All boys love trucks.




What happens in the "arena" is definitely what most people come for. The contests are very exciting and sometimes downright impressive. I mean, you could just smell the testosterone.






And as the day wore on, shirts got removed. Always a plus in my book.





There was even a charity auction. I know you are dying to know what got auctioned off at a logging show, so i'll show you... Large amounts of FIREWOOD. Some of it chopped up already, some of it... not. I was impressed that people had room for this merchandise on their properties. Average price for this much wood? $900. Trucks not included.




The highlight of the afternoon was the "Hot Saws" competition. The goall here is simple: to cut through a 30 inch log the fastest with a chainsaw. The rules here are also very simple: you can attach ANY engine you like to the saw, but only two peole can hold it while it is being used to cut the log. There wer saws powered by Toyota corollas, snowmobiles, Harley Davidsons... you get the drift. The winning cut clocked in at 1.2 seconds. I'm sorry I don't have video, I didn't have the best vantage point. But take my word on this, it was as awesome as it sounds.

The final event was a tug of war between the loggers and kids. When I heard that the kids ALWAYS win, I was totally shocked. The oldest kid is maybe 8. You can see from the video, that there is no way that the loggers were letting the kids win.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I wish I could have been there!