Saturday, June 06, 2009

This week I discovered one of my favorite hikes in WA. It completely demonstrates how awesome the forests are in these parts. The following videos show exactly why hiking in the PNW is sooo cool. And literally. Right now, this area has a "heat advisory" (for 90 degree weather), but when hiking in forests around here, you would never know, the trees keep the temperature so low. And when there is running water near by (you can hear it in the videos), you can feel the cool air coming off the water. Even when the water is over a football field away.







And at the end of the hike, is one of the tallest waterfalls in the state:



When I arrived at the trailhead, I ran into a couple of hikers who had just finished and asked them how long it took them. After assuring me that there was no way that I was going to get "caught" by sundown, one of them says, "Do you have a camera? The waterfall is THE most amazing waterfall i've EVER seen!"

I didn't have the heart to tell her that no matter what, they weren't going to be the most amazing falls i've ever seen. Been there, done that.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Well it may not be THE most amazing, but it still looks pretty amazing.