Wednesday, May 20, 2009

During our last drive at Moremi, our guide clearly felt like he hadn't hit the ball out of the park, so he decided to try to find a pride of lions who were supposedly in the area. He had indicated that this may be a futile search that could result in us not seeing anything spectacular on the drive, but considering his track record so far, we had faith. After lots of driving around, looking at tracks in the sand, scrutinizing poop, he didn't look very optimistic. In desperation, he drove down one more direction, just to check, and as we turned the corner, we saw this:




I didn't get the whole pride in one shot because, well, there were 11 of them. We just kept counting and counting as they walked in total silence past the car. They were so close we could have reached out and stroked their backs as they went by. It was absolutely thrilling.




After they passed us, our guide, again, because he clearly thought he hadn't done enough for us, announces that he knows exactly where they were headed and quickly made tracks to get us in position. Wanna know where they were going? To the airstrip.




See the wind sock?

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I don't think you went to Africa. I think you unplugged the phone for a few weeks, found some great pictures in some photography portfolios, and then published them to your blog. Because these photographs are just too impossibly marvelous to be taken by anyone I know. They are so amazing.