Tuesday, March 03, 2009

On the west coast, Trader Joe's is kind of a religion. For those of you who are not familiar, "TJs" is a boutiquey grocery store in which you can get some seriously evil and delish stuff. TJs peanut butter is bar none, the best I've ever had and I've had to cut myself off. I cook up stuff in their "Thai Yellow Curry Sauce" so often for dinner guests, I think they might think it is actually my own recipe. And of course, there is the legendary, "3 buck Chuck," referring to TJs own wine, that is sold for $3 a bottle. Don't knock it till you try it.

I knew about TJs while living in NJ, but there aren't many stores in NJ and driving to one involved a full hour round trip at least, so I went rarely. Out here, they are a lot more prevalent. I have one that is easily walkable from my apartment, something that has proven to be a little dangerous (see previous comment about peanut butter).

When a new TJs opens up in Seattle, people get SO excited. Word spreads like wildfire, regardless of how far you live from the new store. One is opening a little farther from me than the one I already visit, but from the looks of it, it promises to be HUGE. So of COURSE I can't wait to check it out. Yesterday, it was on my way home from running an errand and I was so excited to get a parking spot right in front! That NEVER happens when going to TJs! I pulled into my spot next to another TJ shopper. We looked at each other with stupid grins of intense anticipation. I got out of my car and walked toward the door only to be stunned by a huge "Opening Soon" sign that was clearly so big, I missed it. The funny part is, this obviously wasn't a blond thing, because I was not the only person who didn't register the sign. Somebody else had also just turned away from the door in shocked disappointment. I mean, the red neon Trader Joe sign was ON, after all. Don't have the sign on and the store's lights on if you aren't OPEN....*sigh*

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

this is so funny! Part of me wants to shout "It's the same store!" because they would have the same stuff.... but if it's BIGGER, they must have MORE STUFF! And I'm actually kind of a fan of big huge food stores. It will open soon.