Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On Sunday, I went to a professional bull riding event...and after just having been to my first drag queen show, this kind of felt that part in a Monty Python episode when there is a pause and then you hear Eric Idle say, "And now, for something COMPLETELY different...."




A "PBR" (Professional Bull Riding) event is kind of like NASCAR meets... professional wrestling... but it is one hundred percent real.  The energy is infectious.  And if you are like I was, on your maiden voyage, it doesn't matter... you catch on very quickly.  I mean, each time a rider gets on a bull, it only lasts 8 seconds, if he's lucky.  If he stays on the whole 8 seconds, he gets a score.  If he doesn't, he hopefully gets to stay in tact.  Personally, I think bull riders have to be certifiable.   There was at least one broken "something" during the course of the afternoon.  But I was impressed to see that helmets are allowed... but not required.  They definitely don't look as cool as a cowboy hat, but at least they stay on.




What I didn't realize about this sport is, the bull himself is just as much of a star as the rider.  Oh yeah.  If there were such a thing as bull riding "cards," they would have their own.   And they totally run the show.  Half of whether a "ride" gets a high score is totally up to the bull's performance during those 8 seconds.  And after the ride, well, the bull decides when he's good and ready to get back into his enclosure.  There is a guy on a horse who tries to lasso the bull to help convince him he needs to leave the ring, but honestly, I think the horse and the bull are in cahoots. 






No comments: