Wednesday, March 11, 2009

When somebody asks you to help them move their boat from its slip to the mechanic's slip so that its engine can be repaired... no matter how tempting this experience might sound, it would be advisable to pay attention to the red flag there. The red flag being, "so that its engine can be repaired." I'll be honest, that red flag went unheeded by me because I was wooed by the prospect of having the chance to see what it is like to be in a boat as it goes through a lock. Pretty nifty stuff.

And it was - even more so after our engine died right before going through it.

In hindsight, this wasn't entirely unforeseeable. We were very fortunate that a tiny research boat with a very powerful engine just happened to be in the area and was able to tow us through the locks. I don't have pictures of this because, well, I was holding a fending stick and was on guard to make sure the boat didn't hit the wall of the lock. But I do have pictures of other stuff from that day, which was beautiful, if not cold.



No comments: