Thursday, October 11, 2007

In Seattle, there is something called, "the freeze." This has nothing to do with the weather. It is a social phenomenon that newcomers feel with the locals. It describes the difficulty transplants feel in getting the locals they meet to "stick" as friends. When I say "locals," i'm referring to those who were born and bred here. And while everyone here is super duper friendly, I have definitely run into "the freeze." I'll email people i meet and they will never contact me back. Guy or girl, doesn't matter. Or, they will take WEEKS to reply. It is such a different social dynamic here. So much slower. So passive.

The passiveness mostly applies to the men. I am so used to the aggressive NYC guy who makes a snap judgement in about 10 seconds if he's even going to entertain talking to you. This always seemed so harsh to me, but on some level, it is super efficient. Here, so far anyways, I've found that I'VE had to make the necessary introductions. For the most part, I've been freezed out eventually anyways, but that is besides the point. Until last night. Last night I got hit on by a local, it cracked up the entire crew i was with and it went a little something like this:

As I emerge from the ladies room i get approached by a total stranger who looked about 22:

Guy: So are you here with the Zone party?
Me: I'm sorry, the what?
Guy: You know, the Zone.. you look really fit and your sweater is very cute so I'm just assuming that you are part of the group from the Zone who are here tonight.
Me: OH.... the Zone, as in the diet..with all those energy bars.. no, i'm not.
Guy: Well, i love your Ralph Lauren sweater, I used to work there and it looks great on you.

(at this point, i realize that a guy has pointed out to me that my sweater is RL, and naturally assume this guy must be gay)

Me: I bought it at Costco this afternoon.
Guy: Coscto! Wow. So do you have a boyfriend?
Me: Nope.
Guy: You have GOT to be kidding me.
Me: I've only been living here for 5 weeks. Give me a break.
Guy: Where are you from?
Me: NJ.
Guy: Wow, my family lives in Ramsey, you know where that is?
Me: Yup.
Guy: We have SO much in common! What are the chances? So how old are you?
Me: I'm not going to answer that.
Guy: Well, I'd love to take you out sometime, but I only date women who are old than I am.
Me: I assure you, this is not an issue (on SO many levels).

(but let me get this straight, a guy who looks 22 is CHECKING to see if i'm older than he is???)

Guy: Why don't you guess my age.
Me: 27
Guy: I'm 26! how did you guess? Wow, you are amazing!
Me: Yeah, that's me. I'm in the Zone.

2 comments:

Jim Sabo said...

You are so lucky I forgot to get the drink I so richly deserve before commenting tonight.

Kathleen said...

So... what happened next?