Monday, October 29, 2007

Up until now, when biking alone, I've been biking more or less exclusively on Mercer Island, which is the island where Bill Gates lives. I have enjoyed my rides there because the loop is very pretty, traffic is light and truthfully, the route is pretty flat. Around here, you have to be careful about hills. You could be quite happily spinning along and then all of a sudden you are attempting to go up an incline that results in you having to get off the bike and and push it up. For like half a mile.

At a professional meeting recently, I met somebody who lives on Vashon Island, another picturesque location just a short ferry ride from town. He told me that Vashon was a roadie's dream, so when the weather cleared up one afternoon, I decided to give it a go. I was assured that it was impossible to get lost on Vashon, but I brought a map with me anyways.

While on line to purchase a ticket for the ferry, I saw several other bikers and was encouraged that I had indeed chosen a desireable biking location. The ride over was quite eventful, thanks to my first ever "hippie hit." Now, i know that sounds like something illegal, but i assure you it was not, but it did make me giggle. A hippie, complete with dreads, piercings, jewelry, hit on me. For the life of me I still cannot figure out what it was about me that made him approach. I was dressed about as sporty as possible. The only thing that possibly could have attracted a hippie was that I was being "green" by using my bike to get around. Either that, or the pool is a LOT smaller than i thought it was in Seattle.

At any rate, I get on my bike at the dock and head off, having waved good bye to the hippie and immediately hit a killer hill. That went on for ever. And ever. and then it turned right. Then left and kept on going. I have since read my guidebook, and for Vashon Island, they do mention that it is an excellent place to ride, once you get past the killer hill at the ferry.

I make it to the top, totally exhausted, only to realize that i'm going downhill again. Horrified that this means i'm most probably going to have to go back up this incline AGAIN, i take a random turn that looks flatter.. for now. After several miles of (relatively) flat riding, i come across two farmers who look like uncle jessie from Dukes of Hazard.

Me: Hi. I was wondering if i showed you a map you'd be able to tell me where i am on it.
Jessie: Where do you want to go?
Me: Not uphill.
Jessie shows me where I am on the map.
Me: So where does one go around these parts to see something really pretty?
Jessie: We feel the whole island is beautiful.
Me: Yes, well, I don't have a lot of time, I need to get back to the ferry before it is dark.
Jessie: This here road (points to map) is nice, but it is pretty steep. Sometimes even cars have to turn around 'cause they can't make it up. Best to take the truck route. There won't be trucks there now, so don't worry about that.
Me: Whoo! I'll take it.

At least i know now, that when i see a guided ride on Vashon advertised, I shouldn't do it. Not until i get my hills skills up to par. Here are some photos from the island and the ferry ride back:



1 comment:

Kathleen said...

not uphill
why do I find this story so funny?