Sunday, June 27, 2010

My first full day in Yosemite, I went to Hetch Hetchy, an area in the northwest part of the park. This area is usually left out by visitors because it is so far away from the Valley. What I didn't know until I got there was, this area is a valley, just like the "real" Yosemite Valley.. but it has been flooded to supply water to San Francisco. It is still a pretty place, but I just kept wondering how much more beautiful it would be if it had been left well enough alone..









1 comment:

Brett Zalkan said...

Hetch Hetchy was sacrificed in the early 20th century to keep the city of SF's hands off of Yosemite Valley itself. But surrendering Hetch Hetchy was one of John Muir's great regrets to the end of his life. Read Cadillac Desert by Marc Reisner if you want a really good account. Similar thing happened to Glen Canyon in Colorado, which is now a cess pit known as Lake Powell.