Saturday, January 31, 2009

Here is a follow up to a previous email about the cars with missing tires in my garage, which I had posted as a more of a joke than anything else.

The car that had no tires? Yup, they were actually stolen, right off the car. In the garage. And here I thought that was only what it LOOKED like. I thought that somebody in the building was just really car savvy and was in the middle of changing their tires. I mean, I did see a tire under the car, so I thought that was a logical conclusion.

But that tire I saw under the car, well, the theives had "borrowed" it from the jeep missing its spare to hold up the car from which they stole all 4 tires. And from what I understand, the tires that were stolen weren't even flash tires.

My whole life, I've had my mom's voice in my head, reminding me that you should never leave anything even remotely valuable and visible in your car. Check. So how do you prevent somebody from stealing your tires?

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

you can't. not really. unless you take them with you, like with bike tires. Or booby trap them with red ink.

Unknown said...

Get some wheel locks. They have them at any auto shop.

Renee said...

You know how they have that tool that lets you block inappropriate content from your children on TV? You need to look into that for your blog and your mom.

You are clearly unfamiliar with the "Parental statute of limitations." I would say the PSOL on stolen tires is either 3 years or 3 months after you move to a new apartment.

For example, I was mugged at gunpoint six years ago in Chicago. The PSOL on a mugging that involves a gun is five years or 6 months after moving to a new home. Or is that 10 years? Now that I think of it, not sure mom knows about that one yet. Hey Lida, mum's the word.