As expected, Seattle is extremely excited about the new US President. The three hour time difference didn't keep people from getting together, all over the city. Even the bars were open at 8am, serving alcohol. Due to a very busy work schedule, I opted to check out the celebrations happening after work hours. I headed to downtown, around Pike Place Market, where people had been celebrating in the streets when President Obama was elected. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised when I found every single bar totally empty. I guess people must have gotten their party on in the morning. But then I remembered that there was an inauguration party being held in my neighborhood:

By the time I got to this establishment, the "throw a shoe at Bush" contest sign had been removed. I assume that was due to some liability issue. The bar was totally packed.


Overall, the scene was pretty entertaining. There was an "Obamatini" being served. Whenever President Obama was on the TV, the bar would start chanting, "Yes we can!" but would get totally silent when he was speaking. Periodically, the bartender yelled out "Obama!" and the entire place would echo his call. I tried really hard to figure out what the reason was for his sudden outbursts, but to no avail. I guess I needed to have another cocktail.
No comments:
Post a Comment