Last year at this time, I had left for the East Coast way too early to partake in any local holiday parties. This year, I was lucky enough to go to several. Happy to report that holiday parties out here are generally the same kind of animal as out East. They even have their own version of a "yankee swap" called, "white elephant." I don't really understand where the name comes from, but I assume the concept is the same. I've never participated in a yankee swap back home, so I don't know what kind of gifts are generally given. Out here, the goal is to either, give crap gifts OR get rid of crap gifts that you got at other white elephants. It is essentially "re-gifting" at its highest form.
I was guilty of "re-gifting" at both white elephants I participated in, but I actually had nice stuff that I just never used. As a result, karma came back to me in the form of a fondue set. whoo. Other people got things like a Hooters serving set. My personal favorite gift was a QVC Christmas sweater - you know what I mean - the kind that can only have been purchased from an overly enthusastic Christmas decorator on TV. It had apparently made its way through years of white elephants, being regifted in fancy boxes to lure unsuspecting participants. Brilliant.
1 comment:
I've participated in many different Yankee Swaps with many different sets of rules, including the one Steve's family has every Christmas Eve. It's fun - gift giving and entertainment in one! The best is when really nice gifts and crap gifts are intermingled. This year both our gifts are regifts, too.
Post a Comment