For one, tents are compulsory. I gather this practice is due to the weather, but when the weather at Giants Stadium was foul, I don't remember there being tents. I think when that happened, people either toughed it out or just didn't tailgate. There just isn't room in the parking lot in East Rutherford for everybody to have tents as well as a car. In Seattle, I guess it is just understood that each car is going to take up two spaces. Must be why each car is charged $50 to park.

Propane powered heaters are also the norm, which I also don't remember from the Meadowlands. My first response when I saw those was, how wimpy. It is only 45 degrees! People tailgate in NJ when it is below freezing with no bloody heaters. That is what bbqs and blankets are for! AND... some people even brought their own portopotties!


The one part of PNW tailgating that was the most interesting was the drinking games. I've NEVER heard of beer pong at a tailgate, but it is clearly the most popular tailgating activity in Seattle. There are non-fancy pong tables (regular folding tables), and seriously fancy pong tables designed purely for beer pong (painted like a football field). There are also endless varieties of beer bongs. The most elaborate, pictured below, was as tall as a fire truck and had two spouts. There were even motorized coolers, to bring beer faster to those who needed it. The things people think of these days.




The fans were also considerably more enthusiastic with regards wearing their team pride. I was impressed.



No comments:
Post a Comment