Sunday, July 04, 2010

In March, my first roommate, Marybeth, gave me a bonsai tree. I have absolutely no idea what I did to be worthy of the gift, but I was very moved and have become very attached to this tree. I had always wanted a bonsai, but was worried about caring for it. They are not "low maintenance" at all. Since I got this tree, I had not been away from my apartment long enough for me to be worried about soaking the tree... until this past week. I could chance it and leave the tree on my balcony, hoping that there would be some rain during the week... but one day of seriously hot weather and it would be toast. Or a big gust of wind would completely blow it away.

I discovered that there is a bonsai specific store in Seattle... I figured they might have some tips for me and I gave them a call.

ME: Hello, I'm a new bonsai owner and I'm going on vacation for 10 days. I know that is too long to leave the tree unattended, so I was wondering what exactly do bonsai owners water their trees when they go on vacation and they don't have somebody who can water them?

Store: We don't board trees.

Right. But that is an interesting business idea. Mental note made. I was really looking for some sort of fancy "time lapsed" watering device.

So, I brought my tree with me to CA. And let me tell you, my tree LOVED California. In the week I was there, it not only started to grow more leaves and branches for the first time since I've been in charge, but it started to bloom again. Here are some pictures of my bonsai on vacation:

In Yosemite:



On the Coast:



Next to Lake Tahoe:



And my favorite.... in the Redwoods...

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

You are so funny! This is kind of like people who bring garden gnomes on vacation with them... only this makes more sense.

Unknown said...

SOOOOO awesome! I am glad you and the tree have bonded. Um...does the tree have a name?