Thursday, May 13, 2010

About 90 mins south of Seattle is a "wolf haven." I had pretty romantic expectations about what this place was all about. I mean, the word, "haven" alone conjures up all kinds of warm and fuzzies. Wolves are pretty prevalent out here, but they are getting shot by annoyed cattle rangers. So I figured, this "haven" was going to be a huge range where they could roam around, hunt, you know, like a reserve.

Not even close.

Just a bunch of horrifyingly small enclosures. I realize that if these wolves were not at the haven, they would have been put down. But forgive me, this "haven" seemed almost just as cruel. Especially since wolves in captivity generally live 4 times as long as they would in the wild. The only fun part of this experience was hearing the whole haven (55 wolves) howl like crazy. Sounded just like a bunch of fire trucks.



No comments: