Monday, October 05, 2009

Things I learned while driving cross country... in no particular order of importance:

    • Personal moving trucks may have a "speed governor," which limits its top speed to 75. Having now driven such a vehicle, I will now have a lot more patience when I see one on the road.
    • The side view mirrors on trucks rule.
    • New York is a BIIIIIG state. Seriously. It cost like $30 on the Thruway to get clear across it.
    • No insect, no matter how big, can survive impact to a truck window.

    • Cracker Barrel restaurants have evil puzzles on their tables.
    • After a week of midwest "home cooking" you suddenly feel the need to own a ford 4X4.
    • Omaha, Nebraska is a pretty stinky place. As in, it smells like manure. In downtown. I thought that the odor might have something to do with the rodeo going on, but residents tell me it is somewhat the norm. Yick.
    • The midwest is totally obsessed with football. And the Fox News Channel.
    • Eastern Wyoming is super windy. As in, Chicago has NOTHING on Cheyenne.
    • The farming resources in this country are astounding. It took 4 days to drive through it.
    • It is not possible to be at all "sneaky" when observing wildlife while driving a 12 foot, yellow Penske moving truck, no matter how hard you try.

    1 comment:

    Kathleen said...

    But Cracker Barrel has the BEST French Toast. And for Dinner. For DINNER!

    Also, this is why the speed limit is higher once you leave the East Coast.

    And why I like audio books.