Tuesday, September 15, 2009

On Sunday, I attended my first ever county fair. That's right. I had never been to a county.. or state fair, for that matter. I had heard that the "mac daddy" of fairs was the one in September, and I have been waiting patiently since last fall to go to this one. It did NOT disappoint. I will be devoting several entries to this experience.

From watching lots of movies/tv... reading books, I had several expectations about what I was going to see and experience. The first was food. I expected fair food to be seriously fried. Within minutes of being there, I saw this:



Nice. Shall I get you closer up to the menu?



I didn't have redneck sushi or anything else on this menu - I just couldn't bring myself to do that to my arteries, but I did partake in the quintessential food of this fair in particular - scones and pie. Both are made right on site and the scones are almost too warm to eat when you get them. The ladies who make the scones reminded me of the armies of grandmas who make pyrohy in Ukrainian church basements.




I had heard that there is produce judging at county fairs. Like the biggest gourd contest:



But did you know that they have DRIED food contests as well??



I think my favorite was the farm produce displays. Essentially, farms create art with a set amount and variety of produce. It amazes me that these are on display for over 2 weeks... don't they go bad?




3 comments:

Lida said...

Your grandfather would have been very proud of your produce photos. They are great.

Kathleen said...

Chocolate Covered Bacon?!!
Two great tastes that were... never, ever, meant to be together.

jeffrey.kreitman said...

That looks great. I wish they had these type of county fairs out here. The boys would love it.