Thursday, August 20, 2009

I recently have become a big fan of the TV show, "Deadliest Catch." For those of you who are not familiar (mom, dad), this is a reality show that follows several crab boats as they fish in the Barring Sea. I really can't explain why I started to enjoy this show totally out of the blue.. it could be some of the Alaskan scenery they show occasionally... it could be that the theme song is by Bonjovi and I miss hearing Bonjovi out here on the West Coast.

At any rate, I somehow became hooked. And then, I found out that one of the boats featured in the show is docked 5 minutes from my apartment!! Nice. Not only are there crab fisherman from the show giving you tours, but you too can try your hand at crawling into a crab pot, throwing a fishhook.. wearing a survival suit.. you know, the usual crab fisherman stuff. And to put it simply, I had a total blast.





A highlight for sure, was the private tour I got from a "real" fisherman. If you can guess his age correctly, I'll be impressed. I have video of him showing me how to throw a fishhook correctly. Needless to say, I didn't throw my hook the same way. Do I have video of that? No. Do I wish I did? Definitely. A blond throwing a fishhook is entertaining and let us just leave it at that.



2 comments:

Jim Sabo said...

HOW DID WE NOT DO THIS WHEN I LAST VISITED!?!?!?!?!

Although I do remember pointing out the bar they hang at when we drove past it on the way to dinner.

Ah well, plan on a visitor soon.

LARISSA said...

Well Jim, to be honest, I don't think they began tours on the Seastar until just recently, to be honest. If they had, you would have noticed the sign advertising them outside their bar.