Wednesday, March 19, 2008

For those of you keeping track, this is post 100!! Surprisingly, it is being made from Portland, not Seattle, where I've been for the past three days for a Technical Communicator's conference. I've learned a lot while here about my industry as well as my collegues, so to speak. Here's some more i've picked up this week, in no particular order of importance:

1. Portland's weather sucks. Seriously, way worse that Seattle ever is. For some reason that makes me feel a little superior.

2. Portland is completely void of people. It is really quite remarkable. I have no idea where everybody is. No matter what time of day it is, the streets seem to be totally empty.

3. Those who do live here, must be really short. Because the street signs are so low, at first, I couldn't find them. I think they would smack anybody over 6 feet in the head.

4. It is possible to get to Vancouver and Portland while going in the same direction. This was momentarily confusing to me until i realized that there is a Vancouver in OR.

5. An 'austrailian cultural evening" is actually a pub crawl. This was pretty entertaining. Everybody had vegemite and aussie flags as we paraded through the city in search of an appropriate establishment. We landed in the basement of an irish pub, the irony of that was not lost - since austrialians were originally convicts from Ireland. No shocker that they stuck us in the basement.

No comments: