For those of you who are loyal readers of this blog, I apologize for taking nearly a week to post. I realize that there is no excuse, but I'd like to blame the fact that work was a little nutty last week, I'm getting ready for my family to arrive for a week and well... Steve the trainer has been very busy beating me to a pulp. I am happy to say that I finally have video footage of the guy who does the Backstreet Boys dancing while running on the treadmill... turns out he is an actor in "high school musical." If I can ever figure out how to put it onto the computer, I'll be sure to share.
Saturday was a very PNW (Pacific Northwest) day. I got up at a ridiculous hour for a Saturday and headed out with friends to the grand opening of the new REI store in Issaquah (about 15 mins outside the city). Going to REI, for those who live here, is a religious experience. REI is essentially, LL Bean, Campor, EMS, all rolled into one but a whole lot better. If you need it to experience ANYTHING outside in the PNW, you can be guaranteed to find it at REI... and in a variety of styles, colors and prices. The flagship store in the city is practically a tourist attraction. They have a climbing wall. They have hiking and mtn biking trails you can use to test out gear before buying it. They have the most amazing return policy imaginable. You could use a pair of boots to climb Mt. Rainier, hate the boots and return them. no questions asked.
Now Saturday's trip was by no means my maiden voyage. When new comers arrive at Seattle, one of the first thing they are asked is, 'have you been to REI?' When people realize that you haven't been yet, they practically jump all over themselves offering to take you on your first trip. I have become an REI member and fan since I was exposed in my third week here. I have also given them some of my money, so it was not hard to convince me that I really wanted to try to be one of the first 200 people to walk into the new store and earn myself a nalgene bottle and $100 gift certificate. We ended up missing the cut by about 30 people (there were people who camped out all night for the honor) but we did get free pastries and coffee as we waited on queue. Somebody even got the queue to do a wave.
But that wasn't it for my PNW day.. oh no... after spending about an hour shopping (got a great softshell jacket and sweater) I raced back into the city for a shellfish cooking course at one of my favorite restauants in Seattle - Flying Fish. It was taught by the chef herself and it was so awesome, I think i have to go to all of them. Instruction, three courses and unlimited wine.. all for $45. I now know a lot more about the different mussels and oysters around here, as well as how to make sea urchin sushi - which, as much as i like the stuff.. turns out to be pretty gross while still in the animal...and not just because of what you are actually eating..
And.. to top it off, it rained all day.. making it a perfect early winter PNW day.
1 comment:
Missed you! Glad you are back!
But I hear you on the family visiting thing.
And I have to say that I have heard much about REI, even though I have only been to Seattle once and never got to go myself.
Post a Comment