Friday, November 02, 2007

Disclaimer: If you are NOT an NHL hockey fan, most of this story will be lost on you.

Yesterday, while purchasing cookie sheets, the girl behind the counter asked for my ID, to which she responded, "NJ... wow." To that, the woman behind me responded, "Are you by any chance a NJ Devils Fan?"

Me: Uh.. yeah, actually, I've got their flag flying from my car right now, even though I realize that while living in Seattle, a completely hockeyless city, this flag's significance is totally lost on 95% of the people.

Woman: Scotty Gomez is my godbaby.

Me: GET OUT.

At this point, the two of us got so excited about meeting each other - me, obviously because I'm huge Scotty Gomez fan, her, because i'm sure that in Seattle she hardly, if ever, gets to show off her godson to somebody whose response to her gushing is equally as gushy. The entire line at the counter was engrossed in our exchange. People stopped shopping. The register stopped ringing. I now know way more about Scotty than I ever thought i needed to know. There were stories about diaper changing. She assured me that he didn't move to the Rangers for the money(sure...). I also know that he just broke up with his girlfriend - a statement to which i responded by flipping my hair.

We spoke for nearly 30 mins. It totally made my day. I made her promise to tell him that she met one of his biggest fans in Seattle and that that fan forgives him for being a traitor.

No comments: