But David, the Ticket God, to the rescue.
And so, at the expense of watching the FIRST Canada vs. USA hockey game at a bar with the rest of the city, I went off to the Original Ice Dance competition.
A lot has changed since the last time I went to a competition - but they still have the skating order listed on a single piece of white paper hanging on a wall as you walk in. The scoring changes that were made since Salt Lake's scandal has definitely made the whole experience more exciting. Thanks to the jumbo tron, you know (before skaters even take the ice) exactly how many points they need to take first place and what their best score ever was for the program they are about to skate. This was totally foreign to me, but I can see how this system, at the very least, makes the competition easier for the audience to understand.
Speaking of the audience, understandably, especially with the hockey game going on a the exact same time, the ratio of men to women watching the event was... shall we say... skewed. In an effort to alleviate the added pressure on the restrooms, some of the men's rooms were "converted" into women's rooms.

There are still "flower kids" who go running around picking up the flowers and other things thrown on the ice. I was once one of these when I was in 6th grade at the US Nationals. I loved it because you got to give the flowers TO the skaters for whom they were thrown. This is no longer the case. If a flower kid picks up your stuff, you won't see it. it gets put in a bag and given away. That is definitely not as fun as getting a pat on the head from the guy who winds up winning the competition.

The costumes in general have become a lot more elaborate. I remember at time when it was totally acceptable for judges to mark skaters up or down thanks to their costumes or even their music. Clearly, that is no longer the case. Anything goes.


The "Kiss and Cry" area was also a highlight for me. I always love watching skaters waiting their scores, seeing their reactions, checking out who their coaches are and seeing if i recognize any of them. Was pleasantly surprised to see that one of the girls with whom I used to train is now a coach for the Israeli dance team. That is not, the team, however, who is pictured in the kiss and cry area below:

The next day, while waiting to go into the women's semi final hockey game, I had the opportunity to have my own opportunity to experience the "Kiss and Cry" area. Have to had it to the Vancouver organizers with coming up with ways to entertain spectators as they wait in endless queues for absolutely everything. I realize that in a "real" kiss and cry area, one would not be sporting glasses or sunglasses for that matter, and facial hair, let alone a full beard is a big no-no in figure skating, but work with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment