Friday, December 11, 2009

This week I had the privilege of trying Lutefisk for the first time. For those of you who may not be familiar, this is a Scandinavian fish dish that is traditional at Christmas. I've been dying to try this stuff ever since I saw it on the TV show, "Bizarre Foods." Why is this dish so "bizarre?" The Scandinavians essentially cure the heck out of it... with salt... and lye. Yes, lye... as in the poisonous stuff that can kill you. So for a time during the curing process, the fish is deadly. NICE.

I had been warned that the consistency of this stuff was kinda like jello. I HATE jello, but I was still willing to give it a whirl. This is what it looked like when it arrived at my seat. The lutefisk is saucy stuff in the lower section of the plate:




Does that look like jello to you? I didn't think so. It had absolutely no texture at all... As I stared at it, it seemed to be losing its composure, so to speak... I took video of somebody trying to eat it to better demonstrate:




After eating this... yes, I ate it... the sauce is nice... I come to find out that the fish was totally over cooked. Huh. You don't say. And those people who are willing to give "non-overcooked" Lutefisk another try, can come back in January for a Lutefisk Dinner Take II. Stay tuned for an updated review.

No comments: