This weekend I had yet another experience that illustrates why I like Seattle:
A couple of friends and I decided to take a spur of the moment trip out to Vashon Island to "follow the sun," an activity that is understandably quite popular in these parts, during this time of year, in particular. The goal was just to see what we could find. None of us had spent much time on the island before, so it was kind of an adventure. While stopping for soda at a convenience store, we procured a local map, on which some local businesses were listed. The one that got my attention was a homemade chocolate shop. Naturally.
Being that it was 4pm on a Sunday and most of the establishments of any kind on the island seemed to be shut, I had no expectations that this shop would be open. I was pretty sure it was just going to be a factory anyways. But the other chocaholic in the car offered to phone the number just to check. It turns out I was correct about it not being an actual shop. In fact, it was a woman's private home. She insisted that we come for a visit to see what she does and have some samples. No pressure to buy. She gave us detailed directions that included, "We are on the left of an enclosure with couple of llamas and a pony." Seriously. And it just gets better.
She invited us into her chocolate making kitchen, showering us with samples as well as an education about her process. She used to be a full time CPA in Seattle, got burned out and decided to try something else. She stumbled across chocolatiering and learned how to do it on the internet, which she admitted, "Is kind of like learning to play the cello over the internet." After purchasing some fabulous truffles, I asked if we could meet the llamas. They weren't very friendly or cuddly, in case you were wondering. I asked our host where a llama could be purchased. Not that I wanted one, I was just really curious - are there breeders? Llama rescues? She said, and I quote, "Well, I've always wanted a llama. We got them at a llama auction on the mainland."
"I've always wanted a llama." I can honestly say that is the first time I've ever heard anybody say that.
The PNW just cracks me up.
4 comments:
I buy "stuff" at Rosehill Auction. There are some crazy things you can buy--but llamas, I don't remember. Maybe that is why I am on the East Coast.
We are zoned for cows, horses, llamas, and camels. There are actually a surprising number of llamas up here in the NORTH Northeast - most of the small farms I've seen has as least one. But no camels yet. Let me know when you see one over there!
I'm confused about the "follow the sun" part. I kept reading, but the pursued sun never appeared...
You are correct, Renee, we never really caught up with the sun. That happens a lot in these parts, especially during this time of year.
Post a Comment