Thursday, September 11, 2008

I know it has been a while since my last post. I generally only post when I'm in WA. I'm back now, but for the past week or so, I was in NJ. Originally, I was supposed to be on the East Coast for the purposes of attending a wedding. Instead, I wound up saying goodbye to my grandmother.

Babcha was my last living grandparent. But even if she hadn't been, she would have been the one I knew the best. The one who knew me the best. Over the past 7 years or so, she'd been steadily, slowly declining and it was heartbreaking at times to watch. Babcha had a profound influence on my life and I don't think I fully realized that until she was gone. Isn't that how it often works? So here are just a few things I can thank and remember her for:


  • Trying so hard to teach me Ukrainian - whatever Ukrainian has stuck with me is primarily her doing. Two semesters at Harvard didn't even remotely educate me as well as she did.

  • Having a fabulous sense of humor - She had the most infectious laugh and smile. She had a amazing ability to reduce the family to a fit of laughter. I loved the fact that she was so willing to laugh at herself. I can still picture her laughing so hard that her tiny body would quake.

  • Giving me some of my earliest cooking lessons - her ability to cook without recipes always impressed me. Trying to follow her as she made just about anything was a challenge.

  • Instilling a love for the holidays - Babcha took the religious and cultural aspects of holidays seriously. Preparing for Christmas and Easter with her was something I looked forward to every year when she was still able to participate. Almost any memory I have of those holidays involves her in some way.

  • Reading the best bedtime stories ever - seriously, I don't remember anything my parents read to me, but I can remember even the cover looked like of the book she used to read to us every night she was with us.

  • Introducing me to bingo - a game I whole heartedly enjoy to this day. I think she would be really impressed by bingo dobbers.

I love you Babchu.







3 comments:

Kathleen said...

oh Larissa! I am so sorry! This is an amazing collection of memories about your Grandmother. My sympathies to you and your family, especially your Mom.

Lida said...

I am still wiping tears as I write this. Bobcha was such a classy lady who loved her family above everything else and she did it with deeds. She adored you and Mark and even when her memory was failing she remembered her family and always that smile when you came into the room.

lswain said...

I am wiping tears as well! What a great way to remember her and so nice that you have such amazing, special and most importantly lasting memories. That photo is really sweet too! It was so great to see you guys even if it was only for a short while. Can't wait until next time.
xo