Have you ever driven 16 hours roundtrip to see a couple of plays? In about a 48 hour time span?
As of this past weekend, I officially have done this crazy idea. But it was totally worth it.
If you are ever in the PNW, or even in Northern (seriously northern) CA between April and October, you need to make the pilgrimage to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, OR. This festival is listed in a book of "1,000 things to do before you die." It totally deserves a spot on that list. Ashland itself is in the middle of what I'd describe as "Marlboro Country." It kinda looks like the area around Santa Barbara. The town is quaint with lots of Victorian architecture and cozy B&Bs. There are vineyards, hikes, bikes and golfing to keep you occupied between shows. The shopping is also a treat because OR has no sales tax. Whoo.
When you come to the festival, you must see at least two shows. They do more than just Shakespeare, but you really should see at least one Shakespeare play, and on the Elizabethan Stage - an outdoor theater that will just knock your socks off. You will feel like you are at the orignal "Globe Theatre." Be sure to bring a wrap of some kind, or blanket, because by the second act, you will get chilly. I don't have pictures of this theater because, well... photography was not allowed.
The level of performance was far and away the best I've seen since I've been out here. It is almost on par with Broadway. The whole experience is unforgettable, and I can't wait to go back again next year.
1 comment:
Hi Larissa,
I have done something similar muselve. Driving 2000 km (1300 miles) to see a kayakking reagatta. I was also an amazing experience. Did it several times actually (Poland 3*, Hungary 2*), you feel crappy for a day but wurth the trip.
Twan
Post a Comment