Vegas, baby. VEGAS.
That is where I was this weekend. Maiden voyage. It is a completely overwhelming place. Crazy hot, crazy expensive and crazy fun. And I didn't even gamble. For those who have not been, believe me when I say, there are plenty of things to do there that don't involve die, cards or chips. Observations made by a Vegas rookie:
1. I had been warned by those who have been, that the Strip is absolutely enormous. The reason for that is quite simply because the casinos are so ridiculously huge. It is possible to walk into a hotel/casino and not only become totally lost, but find you way out and have no idea where you are on the Strip. In my own hotel, I knew of only one way to get to my room. Coming from any other entrance, I'm pretty sure I would have wandered around for hours. The size of the casinos also makes the length of the Strip an elusion. You think you are super close to another casino, because well, the sign for it is *right there,* when really, if you are lucky, you are looking at at least a 15 minute walk between each casino. Add more minutes if you are in heels.
2. You can drink booze everywhere in Vegas... in the street, between casinos, in the malls... you name it. It really threw me when I saw a construction worker buy a corona from a street vendor during his lunch break. Hope he wasn't operating a crane later...
3. Several casinos have some sort of animal mascot. Lions, tigers, dolphins (oh my). And you can find these animals IN the casinos themselves. MGM, for example, has a lion enclosure inside the casino. Needless to say, I was kind of surprised that I had a chance to practice some wildlife photography while in Vegas. And If a casino doesn't have a mascot you can visit, it certainly has something else that is equally cool, like an "inclinator." The Luxor's building is a pyramid, so their elevators go diagnally. This is a little trippy when you do it the first time. Probably even more so after a few drinks...
4. Overheard while walking on the strip at 10:30am: "I need to eat something before I get wasted." Good call. Might I suggest one of the many brunch buffets along the Strip? Where you can eat nearly everything from sushi to grits? On the same plate? While playing slots? Next to Tibetan monks?
5. I've never seen so many ATMs and restrooms under one roof in my life. Mind you, the roofs in question are extremely LARGE, but still. It is kind of like Starbuckses on every corner in Seattle.
6. I can still hear slot machines.
1 comment:
Vegas!? What the hell were you doing in Vegas!? I am jealous.... ;-)
Post a Comment