Thursday, February 21, 2008

When I was in 4th grade, my parents sent me to ballroom dancing classes at our local country club that are designed to teach kids some dancing and a lot of social ediquette. It was quite a formal scene, complete with tea cookies and white gloves (aka boy cootie protectors). Last night I took my first ballroom dancing class since the 8th grade. It was nice to know that much hadn't changed:

1. No matter how hard the organizers try, the girls still outnumbered the guys.

2. Spinning girls confuses boys. "I always forget the rockstep after the turn."

3. Instructors are still in charge of playing the music, and still have trouble doing so.

4. Rotating partners, though "fair," can be very annoying when you get a partner who doesn't like to lead.

5. "Cootie protectors," though not necessary for entry to the class, are still sometimes very desireable - like when you dance with the guy who has hands like sandpaper.

No comments: