I believe that I've already blogged about Seattle's obsession with triva. This was something that was totally foreign to me when I got here. In all my years of living on the East Coast, I don't think I ever saw a single trivia night advertisement at any bar/pub ever. Here, it is the norm for any self respecting bar to have a weekly trivia night. Since moving here, I've become hooked.
Now, that doesn't mean that I'm any good. I'd like to say that my knowledge and skills have improved, but it doesn't work that way. The more you play, doesn't translate into you becoming a better player, unfortunately. But this does not deter me, no siree.
Last week I discovered a new trivia night at a pizza place that served slices that are at least double the size of your head. They are so yummy that I actually applaud when I finish my last bite. I didn't have a team and unfortunately trivia is really best played with a team. I tried to recruit one, but everyone was busy. True to form, I went anyway, figuring somebody will take pity on me and let me join their team.
Now previous trivia exerience dictates that you must be there at least 30-60 mins prior to game time in order to assure yourself a seat. I dutifully stuck to the formula and asked the bartender the scoop.
"They sit over there. But they aren't here yet."
"How do you know who is here for trivia?"
"Oh, you'll know."
I was now envisioning masses of MIT student types arriving, and an hour later, I was not disappointed.
I decided to pull out my "damoiselle in distress/slightly ignorant but not totally stupid blond act" to see how it would work on this crowd, which was predominantly male. I approach the smallest team amassed so far (all men) and by far the most geeky of the lot. I found myself trying to think of some sort of Star Trek opening line I could use, but didn't have the guts to try it.
Try as I did to hint around that I needed to be adopted, these three just didn't get it. To be perfectly honest, they couldn't even make eye contact with me I made them so nervous. I checked my blouse to make sure I wasn't scaring them with a wardrobe malfunction. Nope. All clear.
Again, I was not deterred, I was there already, might as well play, if they let me. I approach the Caller.
"Hi. I want to play, but I don't have a team."
"No problem, you can give us your team name later. We'll just call you 'TBD#2'"
"Actually, I don't have a TEAM at all. It is just me. Can I still play? I mean, with just me, I'm gonna suck."
"No worries, we give out bottles of wine to those who come in last. Here is your answer sheet for Round 1 and the Photo Round sheet."
(I saw that the Photo round sheet required me to identify the make and model of 15cars.)
"Excellent. Might as well hand over that bottle to me now."
As expected, I came in dead last, mostly thanks to the Photo Round. Considering there was a team of two people who got the same score I did, I felt like I did better than expected. And hey, I did win some free wine. And free, as I like to say, is good.
1 comment:
I would have gone 15 for 15 on the photo sheet. Yes, I am that confident....
Post a Comment